Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Storm of the Century (review)

First let me say that "The Storm of the Century" is the first and so far the only Stephen King film I've seen. I've read only one book written by him as well ("Carrie") so I'm not an expert in the matter. Nevertheless I enjoyed it thoroughly and although the ridiculous number of deaths makes this TV movie 4 hours long, I haven't looked at my watch even once (that's because I don't wear my watch). You know what I mean.

The events are set on the Little Tall island, Maine, when its inhabitants anticipate the storm of the century. On a usually peaceful island a murder of an elderly woman is suddenly found just as the crazy blizzard strikes and the murderer, Andre Linoge, is sitting tranquilly in his victim's living room, waiting to be arrested. After he is, a series of deaths occurs, all of which look like suicides or murders caused by the islanders.
"Give me what I want and I'll go away" are the words constantly repeated by Linoge and the words that in some way could always be associated with all of the deaths but meanwhile the dreadful events happen, Linoge is closed up in a cell, guarded.

The story is told from the point of view of Mike Anderson, the constable of Little Tall and is obvious that Anderson will be the one the most pained after Linoge gets what he wants. He will also be the only one figure who will stand for the principles and the defender of the righteousness, ready to fight the evil. But is he the bravest one in the end? I doubt it.

After Linoge has presented his offer, the islanders form a side who wants to save as many lives as possible. They are ready to sacrifice one life in favor of the evil and save the rest of the town. Mike however makes a stand against the satan and despite the possible destruction of the town he decides to fight in defense of principles. So we've got the life versus principles dilemma here. The movie is very thought-provoking, it makes you ask the question which choice was the right one. I'm inclined to believe that I would stand by Mike, especially because the "sacrifice one, save the rest" attitude was based on a belief that Linoge was undefeated. Which at least in once case proved itself to be wrong. I believe that those people had the power to defeat the satan and that the good could win this battle.

What is awesome about this movie is that it's full of allusions (I likes it). First of all, the image of the devil corresponds well with the image of Voland in "The Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov.
Second of all, Linoge is the anagram for "Legion". Luke8:26. Look it up. It makes sense in the plot.
And finally it makes loads of references to the mystery of Roanoke Colony and "Croatoan".

But the movie has some weak points as well. Some of the reactions people made to the events were psychologically incredibly far-fetched. Some of the acting was less-than-superb (Molly Anderson) and also the community, so ideally depicted, could most certainly not bear living in such symbiosis.

But I'd absolutely recommend it. One of the best films I've seen this year and one of the most evocative.

Song of the day: Mine All Mine - Crystal Bowersox

You can't imagine the extent of my irritation right now when I look at the smudges on the window pane I've cleaned today. GRRH.

No comments:

Post a Comment