Sunday, December 25, 2011

So this is Christmas.

You know what strikes me about the Nativity story? We've talked about it this week at Holla! It's Jesus Time and it was mentioned by our pastor today at church, which is curious as I was thinking about it a lot lately as well. Although the Scripture doesn't say that, many Apocryphal writings emphasize that Mary was fourteen at the time she gave birth to Jesus. Imagine being fourteen, engaged with a man you don't even really know and there comes the angel from the sky telling you that you're to give birth to the Son of God. She could go 'Sorry, Gabriel, but... biology?'. But instead she said 'Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word'. Let it be stressed that bearing Jesus was a massive humiliation for the entire family of Joseph, for He was believed to be a bastard. But despite the fact that she did not have the slightest idea what was going on, didn't care about humiliation, biology and convenances. Deep down inside, this was all she felt:


"My soul exalts the Lord, 
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. 
“For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; 
For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. 
“For the Mighty One has done great things for me; 
And holy is His name. 
AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION 
TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM. 
He has done mighty deeds with His arm; 
He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart. 
“He has brought down rulers from their thrones, 
And has exalted those who were humble. 
HE HAS FILLED THE HUNGRY WITH GOOD THINGS; 
And sent away the rich empty-handed. 
“He has given help to Israel His servant, 
In remembrance of His mercy, 
As He spoke to our fathers,
To Abraham and his descendants forever.”




This is a lesson of humility and joy in the works of God. I believe she was the happiest woman in the entire world and I wish everything God does today filled me with such happiness and desire for obedience. 
I am grateful we have a day to celebrate the day when the unlimited became human. I wish all the the divine blessings for you all and if for those of you who believe in God, may you have trust in God's mighty deeds, may you have faith in His decisions for He has and will fill the hungry with good things.


Merry Christmas everyone.


Song of the day: Joy To The World - Nat King Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment