Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Law&Order and more.

One of these days I'm going to turn on the TV and Law & Order is not going to be on.


This thought deserves its own blog post. But I feel like this would be laziness.


An amazing thing about traveling is that you have this right to leave everything mentally behind as you are physically leaving it. My world may be shattering and I may be crying my eyes out, but there is no way my absence at work is going to be justified. However, if I randomly decide to hop on a train and go to seek the Great Perhaps, I don't have to care anymore. I can just say 'I can't help y'all much at the moment, I'm in a motel 150 miles away'. Then, suddenly, it is okay to be just yourself, to be this self-sufficient constituent peregrinating from the familiar to the new. Today I suddenly realized why that is. It's like if you're in a closed area, you feel like in a separate world. That's not weird as long as you stick to the familiar places. The advantage of traveling here is that you're often exposed to new territories where your old life and your old problems don't exist. When I'm in an unknown new apartment, a whole new universe opens in my head. I no longer have to keep obligations I made in the domestic space, nor care about friends or interests at home. 
It always made me amazed at how different it feels to be in the same vehicle but moving from one place to another. You can get on a train, close your eyes and move from the mountains to the sea. You can sit in the tram, not changing your position at all, your hand grasping the pole at the same spot, your foot rested against the side radiator all the time, but in the course of fifteen minutes you're somewhere completely different! 
It is something very fascinating how being enclosed in different environments makes you create these separate realities. Realities where the peculiarities of the domestic one disappear. Or is it just me?


Taking into account that my phone's ringing just freaked me out so much I decided not to take the call, it may be just me. I've been fearing lately (a dream? I don't know) that if I answer the phone, the policeman made of play-dough is going to inform me about some bad news.


Also, I have this random thought about my cats. You know how in animal movies there are always two teams of cats - home-loving pedigrees and landfill wanderers? Take Stuart Little. It always made me laugh how the abandoned cats poked fun at those spoilt homeys. But even though my dears aren't pure-blooded, it just struck me that in reality all the stray cats in the neighborhood are probably making fun of them because they're so loved, spoilt and domesticated. THEY HAVE IT TOO EASY.


Song of the day: King Rat - Modest Mouse


Verse of the day: Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. 1Peter 2: 1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment