Monday, January 9, 2012

What a treacherous thing to believe...

I don't succumb to the miserable feeling of failure that I feel like plunging in right now.  I'm still gonna do this. I only forgot about the John Green Week. I'm not sure if doing John Green was at my list of New Year's Resolutions. If it was I'm screwed but otherwise my self-esteem remains untouched.


 Today I watched this lecture about how people's perception of the pursuit of happiness changes as one moves from one age group to the other. The researcher argues her point by the common topic that bloggers from different age groups blog about. When you're 12-14 you're in the simple phase. Later, you enter the angst one. Ages 19-22 are dedicated to the feeling of confinement, before you cross the threshold of 23 - the 'conquer the world' era. 
There is one thing I hate about researches like that, especially if they prove themselves to be true. The fact that, if they are true, they imply that the person is not only a person, but a material, a biological species, that we are allowed to group in some way, that we are allowed to put into a certain file. 
I do feel like I'm constricted. I know a lot of people who feel the same way. For me thinking that this is the result of the stage I'm in is somewhat underscoring. I would like to say that there are many conditions one is exposed to, but really, I reckon it makes me think of horoscopes in a way that saying 'all the 19-year olds feel as if they're in confinement' is like 'all the Aries are going to be in a romantic relationship in March'. I don't know how I feel about it. It makes the John Green quote resonate in my head, 'what a treacherous thing to believe that a person in more than a person'... Or rather 'what a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a psychological study'.


I feel like I shouldn't be doing community service anymore. It makes me feel like a person whereas all the other people think suitable for me to feel more like in the 'handle the teenager' instruction manual.
That was originally unrelated.


Song of the day: Let's Buy Happiness - Fast Fast


Verse of the day:   Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier. Also if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules. 2 Timothy 2: 3-6

No comments:

Post a Comment